UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. And we never give up.
a) To provide technical support for the implementation of early childhood development programmes through play-based pedagogies with particular emphasis on the implementation of the NCF and the CAPS.
b) To provide professional technical support for all technical task teams and coordination structures under the leadership of the ECD Directorate related to ECD.
c) To provide technical support to the staff in the ECD Directorate on the implementation of UNICEF supported programmes, such as ECDmobi and the P.L.A.Y. online course.
The consultant shall execute the assignment under the close supervision of the Director responsible for ECD at the Department of Basic Education and the Education Specialist (Early learning) at UNICEF with a focus on the following in relation to the objectives stated above:
a. Provide technical support to the ECD Directorate of the Department of Basic Education in the implementation of the programme of collaboration with UNICEF as spelt out in the work plan in relation to early learning and development, particularly post-function shift support.
b. Provide technical support and assistance as agreed with the Director ECD related to the APP on the following:
- implementation and migration to the Department of Basic Education of the P.L.A.Y. online in-service training as to ensure that it is embedded and supported.
- implementation of ECDmobi within the Department of Basic Education.
- human resource development matters related to the early childhood development, inclusive of policy, planning and training on the NCF as to support the implementation of play-based learning.
- the development of a quality assurance and improvement framework.
c. Assist the Director ECD in the preparation of technical reports related to the above areas.
d. Collect and assemble data and background on matters pertaining to the technical assistance to be provided through this assignment and provides updated information on programme/project financial and administrative status for analysis and report purposes.
e. Participate in planning and monitoring on matters pertaining to the technical assistance to be provided through this assignment to identity and analyse bottlenecks; recommends courses of action to supervisor and assist where necessary to implement recommendations in relation to play-based learning; and
– The consultant will be managed by UNICEF and the day-to-day work of the consultant will be supervised by Director for Early Childhood Development.
– UNICEF and the Department of Basic Education are jointly responsible for the monitoring of the implementation of this assignment and shall execute this in a professional and consultative manner throughout the term of the contract.
– The consultant shall have no expectation for the extension of this contract nor for any continuation of the work associated with this assignment through part-time or full-time employment by the Department of Basic Education or UNICEF.
To qualify you will have the following:
– A minimum of an advanced degree or equivalent in education, early childhood education, basic education, child psychology, social sciences or related technical fields
– A minimum of three years relevant professional work experience related to the objectives of this assignment in early learning, education, programme management in an education field, preferably in curriculum as well as sound analytical and policy experience.
– Knowledge of early learning and development and the ECD sector in South Africa is a requirement.
– Sound knowledge of current developments in the field of early learning and basic education, including a clear articulation of play-based learning across the education curriculum (NCF and CAPS).