UNDP is based on the merging of the United Nations Expanded Programme of Technical Assistance, created in 1949, and the United Nations Special Fund, established in 1958. UNDP, as we know it now, was established in 1966 by the General Assembly of the United Nations.
UNDP is the knowledge frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN Development System and serves as the integrator for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP’s policy work carried out at HQ, Regional Hubs, and Country Office levels, forms a contiguous spectrum of deep local knowledge to cutting-edge global perspectives and advocacy.
UNDP’s mandate is to end poverty, build democratic governance, rule of law, and inclusive institutions. We advocate for change, and connect countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life.
UNDP invests in the Global Policy Network (GPN), a network of field-based and global technical expertise across a wide range of knowledge domains and in support of the signature solutions and organizational capabilities envisioned in the Strategic Plan.
UNDP is the Principal Recipient (PR) for the HIV grant and is also providing Support Services (Fund Administration) to the Ministry of Health and Child Care (MoHCC) as the continuing PR for the Tuberculosis (TB) and Malaria grants. The HIV grant for 2024-2026 aims to contribute towards the achievement of the vision and goals of Zimbabwe National HIV Strategic Plan, 2021-2026.
UNDP and the Global Fund HIV grant is implementing several infrastructure/civil works projects which include construction/renovation of warehouses, Pharmacy stores, installation of solar systems, boreholes and provision of key equipment, the office now requires the services of a Project Engineer to lead, guide and monitor the implementation of all infrastructure and engineering related tasks.
Scope of work
- Provides effective guidance and oversight of the UNDP Project Management Unit (PMU) technical (engineering) team including capacity building of the local engineers/technical staff;
- Provides timely technical inputs for efficient Contracts Management and supports on all infrastructure Procurement activities;
- Ensures effective monitoring and supervision of infrastructure projects, while ensuring the highest levels of quality and value-for-money;
- Provides Quality assurance as it pertains to evaluation, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting on all infrastructure Projects;
Provides effective oversight of the UNDP PMU engineering team and the building of capacity of the local engineers/technical staff:
- Provides oversight of UNDP PMU engineering team performance under his/her project activities and ensure that the team achieves its goals;
- Reviews and approves reports prepared by engineers/technical staff of the PMU and by services firms (supervision, licensing);
- Assesses engineering skill gaps and training needs of GF UNDP PMU National Engineers, providing input to the design of overall training programs;
- Coach and mentor, the UNDP PMU engineering team in ensuring quality control and application of international standards;
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (master’s or equivalent) in Civil Engineering or other related Engineering field is required. Or
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) in a relevant field in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 7 years (with master’s degree) or 9 years (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant work experience in the area of health infrastructure project development/design and management in a multi-cultural setting, of which 2 years should preferably be in UN Agencies;
- Demonstrated experience in health infrastructure and civil works, procurement and contract management;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of web based management systems as ERP;
- Experience in quality control and certification of civil works;