OHCHR Public Information Officer Job (South-Africa)
Closes 14 Feb 2023
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, commonly known as the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) or the United Nations Human Rights Office, is a department of the Secretariat of the United Nations that works to promote and protect human rights that are guaranteed under international law and stipulated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948.
|Recruiter||Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)|
|Position||Public Information Officer|
|Qualification||Advanced University Degree|
|Experience Required||Minimum Seven years|
|Application Deadline||14th Feb 2023|
Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Public Information Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- In coordination with offices throughout the Southern Africa region and with Headquarters, takes the lead as regional spokesperson principal liaison, representing the Office in TV, radio, and print interviews with local media in countries throughout the region as well as with international media based in the region and elsewhere.
- Manages and undertakes other activities to promote media coverage (e.g. press conferences including involving senior officials, press releases, speeches, Q&As, talking points, interviews, press seminars, and other special activities) of priority issues and/or major events in the Southern Africa region, initiates and leads pro-active media outreach efforts, proposes and arranges press conferences/media coverage and disseminates materials, in close coordination and consultation with the Media Section on approaches/story angles, understanding OHCHR’s achievements and objectives.
Also Read: What causes corrupt practices during public procurement?
- Develops strategic partnerships and sustains professional relationships with journalists and other key external constituencies. Conducts or manages media training for senior staff and other public information officers in the region.
- Identifies the need for, and manages the production of specific types (e.g. print, broadcast, digital, etc.) of communications products and content (e.g. feature articles, human-interest stories, social media content and posts, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, audio-visual materials, etc.).
- Strategizes appropriate medium and target audience, conducts research, prepares production plans, writes, drafts complex materials and revises drafts produced by associate/assistant public information officers, obtains clearances and finalizes texts, edits copy, coordinates design approval and printing procedures, and ensures distribution through the web, social media, and other digital platforms. Ensures accuracy and that the publications conform to the Organization’s information policy and procedures.
- Assesses needs and opportunities, develops and implements complex strategies for communications, web and digital media for a region or a major programme area, including social media, audio-visual production, etc.
- Manages, coordinates and supports communications campaigns and events in close coordination with the Communications Section in support of OHCHR priorities.
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships and communications channels with representatives of United Nations departments, funds, and agencies in the Southern Africa region, to develop ways to implement communications campaigns system-wide, to address specific regional or country-based human rights issues and to incorporate the campaign message and themes into all relevant events and products.
- Maintains social media platforms and uses digital technologies to disseminate and promote outreach activities in coordination with the social media team at Headquarters. Stays abreast of the latest digital technologies to enhance advocacy.
Position in Organization:
- Posting Title: PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER, P4
- Job Code Title: PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER
- Department/Office: Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Duty Station: PRETORIA
- Posting Period: 16 January 2023 – 14 February 2023
- Job Opening Number: 23-Public Information-OHCHR-198256-R-Pretoria (X)
- Staffing Exercise: N/A
Qualification & Experience:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communications, journalism, public relations, international relations, public administration or related field. A first-level university degree in the specified fields of studies, in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience, may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in communications, journalism, public information, media relations, international relations, public administration or related area is required.
- Experience drafting public information materials (e.g. news articles, opinion pieces, feature stories, press releases, etc.) is required.
- Media experience is required.
- Experience working with international organizations is desirable.
- Experience in the area of human rights is desirable.
- Experience working with social media platforms is desirable.
- Experience in developing communication strategies and/or campaigns is desirable.