IOM is the leading intergovernmental organization in the field of migration established in 1951 and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
With 175 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
The IOM Constitution recognizes the link between migration and economic, social and cultural development, as well as to the right of freedom of movement.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) and the direct supervision
of the Senior Migration Health Nurse, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following
duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Pretoria,
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic (MHAC) to fulfil
the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
a. Medical examinations,
i. Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity;
ii. Blood, urine or sputum collection as required;
c. Laboratory testing;
- Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation
- The migration health assessment process; and,
- Treatments and referrals.
- Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking;
- Accurate and thorough Biodata collection;
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process; and,
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
- Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s check lists and SOP’s and
maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
- Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or
previously designated location.
- Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency kits within
the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable.
- Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education,
prevention and management as appropriate.
- Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary.
- Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
- Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings and preparations as necessary.
- Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care
throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final
- For Bachelor’s Degree holder a minimum of three years of relevant clinical experience and for
Diploma holder a minimum of five years of relevant clinical experience.
- Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
- Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass
immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage.
- Knowledge of and experience in clinical nursing.
- Excellent bedside manner.
- Knowledge of principles of preventive care and disease control.
- Knowledge of and experience in implementation of patient safety and infection prevention
Fluency in English
Working knowledge of local languages is desirable.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences;
encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent
with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.