Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they’re denied.
- Closing Date: 5 November 2023
- Programme: East and Southern Africa Regional Office
- Type of contract: Permanent
- No of weekly working hours: 35
- Salary: USD 76,124 per annum
Whether we’re applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we’re all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
Benefits include 37 days annual leave (inclusive of public holidays and grace days), pension scheme, employee assistance programme, life assurance and many more benefits designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional, engaging environment.
As the Media Manager you will lead, facilitate and support Amnesty International’s international media work across Southern Africa to advance the organization’s human rights agenda. This will raise awareness of Amnesty International’s work to promote and protect human rights while supporting Amnesty International’s global campaigns attracting a growing number of supporters to the movement.
You will have an understanding of international political and human rights issues in Southern Africa as well as extensive experience in producing a wide range of quality materials for print and/or broadcast media, as well as for social media platforms.
- Implement a regional media relations programme which includes: pro-active media liaison; pitching Amnesty International stories and spokespeople; organizing interviews; providing media briefings; writing op eds; and responding to media requests
- Monitor and report on Amnesty International’s media impact and metrics in Southern Africa – including social media. Use results to make recommendations for future work to ensure continued media impact
- Organize media events including news conferences and press briefings; provide media support to Amnesty International research missions and visits to the sub-region by senior Amnesty International delegates
- Support the global network of media workers, providing timely, well-messaged media materials and advice on Amnesty International’s response to human rights developments in the region
- Manage the dissemination of media content on relevant platforms, maintaining a record of all owned and operated digital properties in use by Amnesty International across the sub-region and ensuring their proper use
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in high pressured environment while managing competing priorities and deadlines
- Experience in media monitoring, analysis and reporting
- Knowledge of Amnesty International and interest in, and personal commitment to, the full range of human rights
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Amnesty International believes in a world that is fair, inclusive and equitable. Together, we’re committed to being an anti-racist organisation with a diverse workforce that can better tackle the global human rights challenges that face our world today. We know that different voices, ideas, perspectives, experiences and knowledge, working together will enable us to better the lives of people around the world.
We are committed to building and sustaining an anti-racist, culturally diverse and inclusive organisation, where all employees feel valued, have a sense of belonging and an equal opportunity to fulfil their potential.