Mercy Corps is a global Non- Governmental, Humanitarian aid organization operating in transitional contexts that have undergone, or have been undergoing, various forms of economic, environmental, social and political instabilities.
The organization claims to have assisted more than 220 million people survive humanitarian conflicts, seek improvements in livelihoods, and deliver durable development to their communities.
Mercy Corps proposes a mission to “alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities.
Reporting to E4I’s Managing Director (MD), the Deputy Managing Director (DMD) will be a key member of the E4I Senior Management Team (SMT). Our energy work is built around three pillars: major regional energy programming which include business model and technology field trials and development of markets in different energy sector verticals; energy advisory support for small businesses and donors; and integrating energy into Mercy Corps’ multi-sector programming.
The DMD will have overall responsibility for E4I’s major regional programs and driving the growth of the E4I business. They will oversee the following areas: design, fundraising and implementation of the regional energy programs; development of a new strategy, operating model and organizational structure for growth; and technical quality assurance across all E4I energy programming.
VISION, STRATEGY AND ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Working with the E4I MD and E4I SMT, develop and champion a vision for growth of E4I globally.
- Lead the planning, development, and execution of the E4I energy strategy, including managing iterations of strategic vision documents.
- Develop recommendations for E4I’s organizational restructuring and support operationalization of the new structures.
- With the E4I SMT, develop and operationalize new energy services and verticals that respond to sector needs in alignment with E4I’s core capabilities to drive the global growth of the E4I platform.
- Support the effective functioning of the E4I SMT through clear delineation of roles and responsibilities, agenda setting, and reporting on organizational priorities.
- Lead planning and facilitation of an annual E4I strategy refresh.
- Conduct data-driven analysis to support and make recommendations on strategy and organizational performance.
- Present results to the MD and Mercy Corps’ leadership teams.
OPERATIONAL OVERSIGHT, TECHNICAL LEADERSHIP AND QUALITY ASSURANCE
- Support the MD to oversee the daily operations of the E4I platform ensuring that E4I teams are performing and providing the services required to ensure E4I grants and contracts are effectively delivered.
- In collaboration with E4I’s MD and SMT, create a framework to improve the quality, effectiveness, and efficiency of E4I’s energy programs and consulting services.
- Direct technical operations on select large, high-priority energy programs working with E4I’s MD and SMT.
- Provide hands-on support to the Head of Advisory Services to ensure technical excellence and efficient performance of advisory teams.
- Ensure learnings are integrated to improve E4I’s operations including in ongoing energy programs and in the design of new, large-scale programs and technical services.
- Provide support to teams at key program stages including program start-up, kick-off meetings, inception meeting check-ins, quality audits and spot checks, and end of program transitions.
- With the respective department heads, define and execute growth strategies and fundraising plans for E4I’s new energy services and verticals.
- Oversee fundraising efforts for select high priority major energy programs, working closely with the E4I MD, and the relevant Mercy Corps business development teams.
- Build and manage relationships with strategic global energy donors and partners.
- Provide technical leadership on proposals by setting the vision and strategy, driving program design, defining competitive partnerships, and negotiating partner scopes of work, informing budget development, and leading writing of technical proposal sections.
- Lead deal-closing for select high priority major energy programs and consulting services.
- Represent select energy programs at industry conferences and events as a presenter or participant.