Bioversity International was established in Italy in 1974 as the International Board for Plant Genetic Resources (IBPGR) to coordinate an international plant genetic resources program, including emergency collecting missions, and building and expanding national, regional and international gene banks.
In 1991 it became the International Plant Genetic Resources Institute (IPGRI) and finally Bioversity International in 2006, reflecting an expanded vision of its role in agricultural and forest biodiversity and research-for-development activities.
In 2019, Bioversity International and CIAT joined forces to create the Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), a global organization building on their complementary mandates and long collaboration, to respond to today’s global challenges of climate change, biodiversity loss, environmental degradation, and malnutrition.
The Alliance of Bioversity International & CIAT delivers research-based solutions that harness
agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives.
Alliance solutions address the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss, and
The Alliance works with local, national, and multinational partners across Latin America and the
Caribbean, Asia and Africa, and with the public and private sectors. The Alliance is part of CGIAR,
a global research partnership for a food-secure future, dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing
food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources and ecosystem services.
About the position
Alliance, on behalf of HarvestPlus, is seeking to recruit a highly motivated Communication Intern
to join our team. The successful candidate will support the organization while gaining training
and experience in communication within the research and development sector.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the development and packaging of print/web/audio-visual/multimedia materials
in a variety of formats for donors, policy makers, farmers, consumers, processors, and
- Provide communications support and documentation for all project activities.
- Co-facilitate the dissemination of farmer-friendly information on HarvestPlus project
activities through features writing, press releases, field days, radio, and television
- Organize and set-up exhibitions to promote biofortified crops at various forums.
- Assist in producing unique photography and video coverage for HarvestPlus
- Support the production of training videos, conducting informative interviews and
testimonials aimed at promoting HarvestPlus interventions in Zimbabwe. Develop and
design concepts, graphics, and layouts for HarvestPlus promotional materials (brochures,
pamphlets, flyers, banners, etc.)
- Create and upload engaging social media content using graphics and illustrations to
increase awareness and sensitization of stakeholders.
- Monitor all social media conversations, mentions, and other activities and provide
feedback to questions and comments.
- Collect and share feedback from social media channels with HarvestPlus staff and relevant
- Data capturing and information dissemination on EProd (Agric value chain management
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Required skills and attribute
- A team player, collaborative, self-motivated and able to work well with multi-cultural and
- Fluent in English and Shona/Ndebele with writing and verbal communication skills, and
- Ability to and work under pressure
- Ability to take initiative, co-ordinate, prioritize, multi-task and organize workload; and
work under pressure.
- Willingness to travel extensively within the project target areas in Zimbabwe.
Required qualifications and experience.
- Diploma or bachelor’s degree in digital marketing, mass communication, Journalism,
Public Relations, or related field.
- No experience required, but must at least show some proficiency in:
o The use graphic design software – Adobe Suite, CorelDraw etc.;
o Microsoft Office Applications – Word, PowerPoint, Outlook applications; Cloud
data storage tools – Google drive, DropBox, OneDrive.
o Photography, videography, and video editing skills.
- Adept at using major social media platforms such as Facebook, X (former Tweeter) and
- Good skills in writing, editing, and proof-reading, concept, and brand creation.
- Good command of English – possess oral and written communication, interpersonal,
presentation, client management, and social skills.