UNESCO is the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. It contributes to peace and security by promoting international cooperation in education, sciences, culture, communication and information.
UNESCO – United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization seeks to encourage the identification, protection and preservation of cultural and natural heritage around the world considered to be of outstanding value to humanity.
UNESCO promotes knowledge sharing and the free flow of ideas to accelerate mutual understanding and a more perfect knowledge of each other’s lives.
UNESCO’s programmes contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals defined in the 2030 Agenda, adopted by the UN General Assembly in 2015.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
This position is under the overall authority of the Director of the Regional Office for Southern Africa and the direct supervision of the Regional Advisor for Education for Health and Well-Being. The incumbent will be responsible for providing programme and administrative support and contribute to the effective, planning, implementation and monitoring of UNESCO’s work in the Education for Health and Well-being (EHW) Unit. Specifically, s/he will be responsible for providing support to the “Our Rights, Our Lives, Our Future (O3)” and the “Our Rights, Our Lives, Our Future (O3 Plus)” programmes in East and Southern Africa (ESA) countries.
1. PROGRAMME ADMINISTRATIVE PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION AND ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT (regional)
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans.
- Provide substantive project support for the implementation and assessment of the O3 and O3 Plus projects.
- Support the preparation of annual work plans and the develop of progress reports.
- Produce concept notes for different project activities, ensuring project objectives are met.
- Support the development of terms of reference for the different project assignments/consultancies.
- Review consultants’ work ensuring deliverables of high quality are submitted timely.
- Attend, observe and participate in strategic programmatic meetings with internal and external partners.
2. PROJECT AND ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT (South Africa)
- Support the formulation/development, coordination and execution of project activities to ensure timely delivery.
- Provide support to the projects in South Africa including programme planning and strategic activities.
- Provide technical assistance interventions in support of project implementation in South Africa.
- Support the tracking of project-specific performance indicators, ensuring alignment with project work plan for South Africa.
- Liaise with local vendors to ensure timely vendor registration with UNESCO and UNDP, contracting and payments for vendors contracted on South African activities.
- Completed secondary, technical and/or vocational education.
- At least eight (8) years of relevant work experience in project /programme implementation, reporting and/or administration, or related field.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Professional integrity, tact, diplomacy and good sense of judgement.
- Excellent planning, organizational and coordination skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including drafting skills.
- Very good analytical and problem-solving skills, ability to deal with complex situations and to provide quality and timely support and services.
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure and deliver under tight deadlines.
- Strong service/client orientation.
- Excellent IT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office.
- Excellent knowledge (oral and written) of English.
- Training/course in one or more of the following disciplines: project management; administration.
- A first degree or Masters’ degree in development studies or any programme administration related fields.
- Experience in the United Nations system or similar international organizations.
- Experience in administrative/human resource support roles, finance and/or in assisting programme implementation/donor funded development.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of budgeting and financial management.
- Knowledge of UNESCO’s mandate, structure, governing bodies, institutes, commissions, etc.
- Knowledge of other UNESCO official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).