UNDP Country Office (CO) in South Africa, as Government partner in the efforts to achieve the sustainable development goals, sought to reposition itself strategically and realign its human resources to better respond to the new Country Programme Document (CPD) 2020-2025 approved in June 2020 and ensure an effective and efficient contribution to address the intertwined challenges of poverty, inequality and unemployment that undermine the country efforts to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Governance Programme Manager, the Programme Associate provides leadership in execution of services in the CO Programme Unit and supports the design, planning and management of the country programme.
The Programme Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and project teams in the CO, UNDP staff in HQs and Regional Hubs, UN Agencies, government partners, and internal specialists to exchange information and resolve programme/complex finance-related issues.
UNDP adopts a portfolio approach to accommodate changing business needs and leverage linkages across interventions to achieve its strategic goals.
Therefore, UNDP personnel are expected to work across units, functions, teams, and projects in multidisciplinary teams in order to enhance and enable horizontal collaboration.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensure effective management and implementation of programme strategies and policies, and adapt processes and procedures:
- Provide thoroughly researched information for preparation of Country Program Documents (CPDs) and establishment of Baselines, Milestones and Targets (BMT);
- Compile information / evidence to guide future programming.
2. Provide effective support to management of the Country Office programme:
- Support formulation of programme and projects, work plans, initiation of a project, entering project into ERP, and preparation of required budget revisions;
- Provide day-to-day guidance to implementing partners on implementation of projects, and track use of financial resources. Contribute to managing digital technology solutions in programme implementation towards scalability and sustainability in line with UNDP’s digital standards;
- Contribute to the effective management of data in programme implementation, across the data lifecycle. Follow up on programme and project performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones, and preparation of reports. Implement corporate results-based management mechanisms and tools;
- Identify programme related bottlenecks and propose solutions;
- Make preparations for external and internal programme / project audits, and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Provide support to the Programme unit by maintaining internal expenditure system and performing quality assurance review of financial reports and payments that includes following up with other units and taking timely corrective actions.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education preferably with specialized certification in Business or Public Administration, Finance or related area.
- Bachelor`s degree in Business or Public Administration, Development, Economics, Political or Social Sciences or other closely related is desirable but not a requirement.
- Minimum of 7 years (with secondary education) or 4 years (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant progressively responsible administrative/management or programme experience is required at the national and/or international level;
- Experience in governance programmes area is desirable;
- Experience in the use of computers, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), database packages, and Oracle Cloud web-based ERP management systems;
- Hands-on experience in support to development projects with Government, NGOs or UN sister Agencies;
- Experience in programme or project management, finance, budgeting and reporting skills;
- Knowledge of tools and methodologies to follow-up on projects or project cycle management preferred.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Fluency in another UN language is also beneficial.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.