The position will be located in the DWT Pretoria Office, which maintains overall responsibility for the ILO’s presence and activities in Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho and South Africa. It also serves as the liaison office for the Southern African Development Community (SADC). It takes supports its constituents in defining programme priorities, activities, monitoring, and overall programme delivery.
The Financial and Administrative Assistant (FAA will work on the project on “Strengthening the prevention and elimination of Child Labour in the Agricultural sector in South Africa”, funded by the Delegation of the European Union to South Africa. The project overall objective is to strengthen the prevention and elimination of Child Labour in the Agricultural sector in South Africa.
Under the overall responsibility of the Director of DWT/CO Pretoria, the Finance and Administrative Assistant (FAA) will work under the direct supervision of the National project Officer of the project. The incumbent will also receive guidance and support from the Pretoria Finance and operation unit as well as colleagues from the Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work Branch (FUNDAMENTALS) in Geneva, when relevant.
Description of Duties
The FAA will primarily provide support the CLA/ZA national in all finance and administrative tasks, for smooth preparatory works and successful implementation of the project, and in particular:
- Assist with the planning and preparatory work of the project initiatives in Pretoria. Monitor status of the project and receipt of documentation for review and approval, verifying that information is compliant with applicable rules, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines. Monitor the status of the project outcomes and deliverables and inform the supervisor of any discrepancies.
- Compile, summarize and present a variety of information and data to the supervisor on issues pertinent to the Office’s work programme, including on budgets, staffing levels and structures of programmes and/or projects, and other related topics or issues
- Collect quotations, prepare Purchase Orders (POs) in ILO`s ERP system-IRIS, external collaboration and service contracts, and agreements with partners. Assist in issuing and monitoring of external collaboration contracts and service contracts. Ensure timely discharge of financial responsibilities of the project’s contractual obligations to third parties based on ILO rules
- Provide administrative and financial backstopping and guidance for project staff and consultants, with respect to payments, entitlements, travel claims, and other requirements relating to accounts and finance. In addition, maintain various official records and files.
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for donor reporting, for budget preparation, audits or other reasons.
Completion of Secondary school education plus formal training in accounting, finance or business administration from a recognized commercial school or equivalent.
Five years of experience in clerical administrative work including record keeping and processing of information and basic knowledge of report writing.
Excellent knowledge of English and good knowledge of one of the official national languages of South Africa.
- Knowledge and understanding of a complex body of financial and administrative rules, guidelines and procedures
- Proven ability to take ownership of all responsibilities, to act with integrity and transparency by maintaining social, ethical and organizational norms, and to meet all commitments within the prescribed time, cost and quality standards.
- Proficient in basic computer software (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe Reader) and ability to use other software packages required by the Office
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice.
- Ability to deal with people with tact and diplomacy
- Ability to evaluate correspondence and inquiries for best course of action
- Excellent leadership skills, ability to work effectively in a team and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write accurate reports and to build networks to obtain cooperation with partners.