United Nations Political Affairs Officer Job Available (Kenya)
The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945. Currently made up of 193 Member States, the UN and its work is guided by the purposes and principles contained in its founding Charter.
When the Second World War was about to end in 1945, nations were in ruins and the world wanted peace. Representatives from over 50 nations gathered at the United Nations Conference in San Francisco, California from 25 April to 26 June 1945 to draft and then sign the UN Charter, which eventually created the United Nations. Its purpose was to prevent another world war like two previous world wars.
Also Read: Scholarship Benefits for Underprivileged Students
The UN has evolved over the years to keep pace with a rapidly changing world. However, one thing has stayed the same: it remains the one place on Earth where all the world’s nations can gather, discuss common problems, and find shared solutions that benefit all of humanity.
The Secretary General is Chief Administrative Officer of the UN – and is a symbol of the Organization’s ideals and an advocate for all the world’s peoples, especially the poor and vulnerable. The Secretary-General is appointed by the General Assembly on the recommendation of the Security Council for a 5-year, renewable term.
The current Secretary-General, and the ninth occupant of the post, is António Guterres of Portugal, who took office on 1 January 2017. On 18 June 2021, Guterres was reappointed, pledging as his priority to continue helping the world chart a course out of the Covid 19 pandemic.
Within the delegated authority, the Political Affairs/Liaison Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Identify, analyze and monitor the implications of political developments, trends and emerging issues in the region, including activities of national stakeholders, and their impact on joint United Nations programmes in support of the implementation of the Peace, Security and Cooperation Framework (PSCF); and
- Assess implications and make recommendations on possible policies, strategies and other measures to address issues of concern to advance mandated objectives.
- Prepare summary and analytical reports including, but not limited to, situation reports, briefing notes, options papers,
- code cables and input for the reports of the Secretary-General to the Security Council, General Assembly or other bodies; and
- Prepare contextual information materials, such as background notes, political profiles and databases of relevance to the assigned portfolio; Manage information to ensure its accessibility and utility.
- Selects, classifies and stores in databases information relating to assigned area.
- Support mission planning and budgetary processes.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in political science, international relations, law, public administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five (05) years of progressively responsible experience in political science, international relations, security, conflict resolution or related area is required.
- Experience in political analysis and advice is required.
- Experience working on peace and security issues in or on the regional context in the Great Lakes region of Africa, is required.
- Experience working in a United Nations common system field operation (inclusive of peacekeeping and political missions or similar international organisation is desirable
- Experience with policy development and programme management and implementation is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised fluency in English and French, (both oral and written) is required.
- Contract Type: Full Time
- Selection Process: Interview
- Salary: negotiable
- Application Process: Online
Click here to apply
|Recruiter||United Nations Secretariat|
|Position||Liaison Officer – Political Affairs|
|Experience Required||A minimum of five (05) years|
|Application Deadline||13 January 2023|