The mission of UNAIDS is to lead, strengthen and support an expanded response to HIV and AIDS that includes preventing transmission of HIV, providing care and support to those already living with the virus, reducing the vulnerability of individuals and communities to HIV and alleviating the impact of the epidemic.
Communications is one of five units in the Policy, Advocacy, and Knowledge Branch (PAK). It is home to UNAIDS’ communications, partnerships, and strategic political work-mobilizing a spectrum of tools and relationships to support building an environment enabling the ultimate goal of ending AIDS as a public health threat by 2030. It ensures effectiveness, impact and consistency in the organization-wide advocacy effort with specific attention on addressing inequalities that drive pandemics and make some people, in some places, particularly susceptible to them.
The communications team, responsible for external-facing communicating across all of UNAIDS’s media platforms and networked to regional offices in all six UNAIDS regions works in close coordination with the Influencing and Partnerships team, responsible for building organization-wide initiatives and platforms to advance the UNAIDS’ policy and political agenda.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Communications Director, the post holder will carry out the following:
- Lead the social media overall strategy and delivery. Lead the development, management and quality assurance of social media campaigns.
- Ensure UNAIDS social media presence is timely, relevant and consistent with the Communications strategy and according to established guidelines, and is exciting, engaging and impactful.
- Lead the social media team, and select and manage consultants.
- Expand UNAIDS social media audience, engagement and impact. Conceive, design and launch original content for social media platforms including graphics, videos and interactive components.
- Work closely with staff across the joint programme to develop new and engaging content for social media. Build strong networks with allied organisations’ social media teams. Promote relationships with civil society and other partners to increase outreach of UNAIDS messages as well as to undertake joint social media campaigns.
- Establish and monitor the achievement of KPIs. Compile and analyze data from social media platforms to increase content performance.
- Lead the monitoring of social media conversations and meaningfully engage with audiences to promote UNAIDS’s position on key issues.
- Manage coverage of live events, trips and conferences.
- Create and lead social media training for UNAIDS staff. Provide advice to senior leadership on social media issues.
- Manage advertising on social media platforms.
- Replace other Communications colleagues during absences and share workload during periods of high demands.
- All other related duties as assigned.
- Essential: Advanced university degree in communications, marketing, digital marketing/digital communications. For internal candidates, a first university degree in the above and nine (9) years of relevant work experience will be considered as equivalent.
- Desirable: Undertaken courses in social media, graphic design, videography, or related field.
- Essential: A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in leading social media teams and projects and/or digital communications, including leadership experience at the international level, including working in fast-paced environment. Knowledge and experience of producing content for social media communities, project coordination, communication practices.
- Desirable: Experience in managing major organisational social media accounts or large individual/influential social media profiles. Having worked on AIDS, health, or human rights. Experience in project management with managerial responsibilities
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English.
- Desirable: Working knowledge of another UN official language an asset.
- Vacancy No: UNAIDS/22/FT115
- Grade: P4
- Contract Type: Fixed-term Appointment
- Duration of Contract: 2 years
- Selection Process: Interview
- Salary:(Net of tax)USD 75,602 at single rate
- Application Process: Online
Closing Date: 15 January 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.