Gold Fields is a global gold mine and was founded in 1897 by Cecil Rhodes with his partner Charles Rudd. Gold Fields was merged in 1998 with the gold assets of Gold Fields of South Africa Limited and Gencor Limited.
Gold Fields is a globally diversified gold producer with a focus on safe, sustainable and innovative mechanised mining.
Gold Fields recognises that the diversity and talent of our people will ultimately determine our business’ success. Gold Fields is therefore committed to seeking out and retaining a diverse and talented workforce to ensure business growth and performance.
We have nine operating mines in Australia, Ghana, Peru and South Africa, including the Asanko Joint Venture in Ghana and a development project in Chile. Gold Fields has total attributable annual gold-equivalent production of 2.2Moz, attributable gold-equivalent Mineral Reserves of 51.3Moz and Mineral Resources of 115.7Moz
The General Miner is accountable to the Environmental Engineering department and is responsible for planning, scheduling and safely executing ventilation maintenance, construction and related projects. The incumbent will lead a maintenance team charged with the safe and cost effectively delivery of daily tasks ensuring full compliance with operational standards and MHSA regulations.
- Grade 12 or equivalent NQF Level 4 qualification
- Blasting Certificate
- At least 3 years’ experience in a deep level gold mine with experience in mine ventilation maintenance and construction
- Be declared medically fit for the position and environment, as determined by a risk-based medical examination at the Gold Fields Occupational Health Centre and pass a Heat Tolerance Screening test, and such other tests as may be required to assess the applicant’s suitability for employment
- Proficient safety leader with the capability of leading the ventilation construction crew and implementing safety campaigns in his area of responsibility
- Accomplished team and people leader
- Strong inter and intra-team collaboration skills
- Ability to promote teamwork and team cohesion
- Fluent in English as business and instructional language on speaking, interpretation and writing levels
- Have basic knowledge of building regulations and requirements to be able to construct ventilation doors, seals, refuge bays, cooling installations etc
- Established planning, decision making and problem-solving abilities to ensure timeous execution of tasks
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in, and lead daily, and scheduled safety, health, environmental and risk management campaigns ensuring that teams actively demonstrate safe work practice at all times
- Ensure optimal application of set health and safety standards of self and team members and take immediate appropriate remedial action to maintain standards and procedures in area of responsibility
- Attend and actively participate in daily team briefing sessions and Invocoms as required to plan, receive, and assign daily SHE, risk assessment and work schedule instructions
- Assign, lead and collaborate with teams to conduct appropriate task risk assessments, safe work task planning, task and job material and equipment planning, etc.
- Maintain disciplined work and team conduct through frequent Planned Task Observations (PTOs) to ensure that teams are executing tasks to the required safety standards, performance specifications and, record and execute remedial actions and measures as required
- Ensure the maintenance of safe working environments for teams and area of responsibility by conducting workplace inspections throughout the shift and take appropriate action or escalate as required to maintain workplaces in a safe condition
- Ensure that daily ventilation tasks are clearly communicated and understood by all team members and that appropriate interventions are instituted to maintain the safe delivery of all targets
- Ensure effective availability and use of equipment and materials
Closing Date: 09 February 2024
Please note that the Gold Fields code of conduct strictly prohibits the exchange of any payment as part of its recruitment process.
Gold Fields is committed to the achievement and maintenance of diversity and equity in employment