United Nations Secretary-General launched on 1 January 2019 a bold and new global reform which repositioned the UN Development System to deliver more effectively and efficiently with the achievement of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.
As part of this reform, United Nations Resident Coordinator Offices (UN RCO), under the leadership of an empowered and independent UN Resident Coordinator – the highest-ranking official of the United Nations Development System and Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General at country level – support countries in the achievement of their development priorities and the attainment of the SDGs.
• Drives vehicles safely for the transport of the Resident Coordinator, Senior Officials and other authorized personnel and for the transport of general cargo goods and or.
• Makes deliveries of parcels, documents, etc., between the office and other offices and institutions, e.g. Ministries, Embassies, Permanent Missions, etc.
• Makes minor purchases and collect urgent purchases from local suppliers as requested.
• Collect goods from customs with due regard to customs regulations and formalities. May make or collect payment for goods.
• Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with visa and customs formalities, to facilitate smooth and safe entry and arrival to the authorized destinations.
• Deals effectively and tactfully with officials and visitors.
• Efficiently plan and coordinate vehicle maintenance to ensure vehicles are fully equipped with required travel authorisations and supplies, assigned equipment on board is in a good condition to support safe and efficient services.
• Responsible for accurate maintenance of the vehicle log books, and daily reporting to the supervisor on mechanical status to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption supporting accurate accounting and cost-efficiency. Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of accident. • Provide protocol support to the RC and RCO
• Act as liaison between UN and host country to facilitate and ensure the proper registration of the diplomatic and non-diplomatic staff of their offices, including processing requests for diplomatic privileges and immunities and assists with settling other matters (administrative, legal, visas etc) related therewith.
Knowledge of driving rules and regulations. Knowledge of the area and the current condition of roads and highways, security and safety awareness; familiarity with frequently traveled routes and routines of the more senior staff or the officers.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Completion of High school diploma or equivalent is required
A minimum of two (2) years of progressive responsible experience as a driver with a safe driving record is required. Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles, including vans and other kinds of motorized vehicles is required.
Experience in driving and supporting Senior Officials and working with the United Nations or comparable organization is desirable. Training in basic and advance security protocols is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. NOTE: “Fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of” equals a rating of’ confident” in two of the four areas.