IOM was Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the
benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM’s Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) strategy aims to improve the quality and integrity of
programme delivery, ensure that programs are responsive to the needs of affected populations,
and meet donor requirements and standards of accountability.
The Monitoring, Evaluation & Reporting Officer will work as part of the IOM Transition and
Resilience team, under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Zimbabwe and
direct supervision of the Project Coordinator.
The successful candidate will support aspects of the design of tailored tools, the implementation of project monitoring, and the management of the project related to Cash Based Interventions, Protection, Livelihoods and Community Reintegration.
The incumbent performs their duties in line with IOM’s institutional M&E and Results Based Management (RBM) Guidelines.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Collect, maintain, and conduct preliminary analyses of various project related data required
for M&E, planning and decision making within the project. Bring issues related to data integrity,
quality and consistency to the attention of the supervisor.
- Provide specific technical inputs for the development and/or implementation of special
assessments, mini-evaluations, surveys, and/or operational research so as to assist with the
integration of a strong reflection and learning culture during project implementation.
- Participate in specific monitoring exercises as assigned and under the guidance of the
supervisor. Monitor endorsement procedures with the required endorsement entities.
- Participate in specific site monitoring visits of the places of implementation under the
guidance of the supervisor, and conduct preliminary analysis of data collected by the team.
- Keep track of the status of project(s) indicators, assist in updating the same in PRIMA’s
Results Monitoring module and bring to the prompt attention of the Transition and Resilience
Unit (TRU) Coordinator any delays or challenges regarding compliance issues with the
- Compile human interest stories or case studies that demonstrate the impact of the project as
required for regular results reporting and publishing.
- Keep abreast of internal frameworks for Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
(MEAL) and Results Based Management (RBM) developments to strictly comply with processes
and strategies such as the IOM global M&E strategy and Guidelines, Strategic Results
Framework (following IOM Global Vision), regional M&E planning tools and PRIMA-for-all
- Compile M&E related content as required for the drafting of concept notes and proposals for
potential donors and funding opportunities in IOM’s areas of interest.
- Draft specific components for the preparation of donor reports to help in supporting timely
reporting and compliance with donor regulations and obligations, as well as in the report
finalization process with Regional Office and/or Headquarters.
- Compile and provide information on M&E methods, approaches and tools to the project
team and country office projects colleagues as may be necessary.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Master’s degree in a social science field such as: Monitoring and Evaluation; Development or
Social Studies; International Development; Demography and Population Studies; Statistics;
Project Planning and Management; Sociology; Research Methods or a related field from an
accredited academic institution; or,
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in an M&E role in an international organization such as the UN or INGOs.
- Experience in compiling data and narrative reports for donor or internal management reporting.
- Strong reporting, writing and research skills, preferably related to M&E;
- Excellent communication and analytical skills;
- Demonstratable knowledge of key concepts in M&E such as logical frameworks, results
chains, indicators, baseline, targets, assumptions and Theory of Change;
- Demonstrated knowledge of development of data collection tools, their administration and
evaluation techniques and practices;
- Knowledge of MS Suite (Word, excel, PowerPoint, MS Forms);