IOM – The International Organization for Migration is part of the United Nations System as the leading inter-governmental organization promoting since 1951 humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all, with 175 member states and a presence in over 100 countries. IOM has had a presence in South Africa since 1995.
- Drive assigned IOM office vehicle(s).
- Manage the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle(s) to ensure roadworthiness of the vehicles. This includes daily check of tires, brakes, engine oil, fan belt, etc.
- Arrange for minor repairs and ensures that the vehicles are kept clean.
- Ensure that the vehicles undertake regular service intervals.
- Keep records of spare parts for vehicle(s) and conduct monthly inventory of the spare parts.
- Find the most direct and safe route over the best available roads to the destination.
- Ensure that the IOM vehicle(s) is used only for official/authorized business, as advised by the supervisor.
- Make sure that the daily log sheet is prepared, and a monthly report is prepared summarizing statistics linked to mileage, fuel consumption, etc. for the vehicle.
- Keep a high degree of confidentiality and discreteness in discussions, which involves IOM and its officials. Take proper actions to reduce potential security threats to IOM officials and/or property within the immediate vicinity of the vehicle and along transport routes.
- Meet official personnel at the airport(s) and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Collect and deliver mail, documents, pouches, and other communications/items from and to the country office; go to the post office, airport, government agencies, other UN agencies, institutions, project sites, etc., to take and deliver items and communications; keep records as required.
- When needed, assist the country office staff in performing simple clerical duties such as making and answering telephone calls, making photocopies, keeping records, etc.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- High school degree/certificate with minimum 2 years of relevant working experience or Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution.
- Valid national driver’s licence.
Accredited Universities are those listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations.
- Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Knowledge of radio, email, telephone and other applications.
- Good communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Fluency in English
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioral indicators (Level 1)
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.