WHO is the United Nations agency that connects nations, partners and people to promote health, keep the world safe and serve the vulnerable – so everyone, everywhere can attain the highest level of health.
WHO leads global efforts to expand universal health coverage. We direct and coordinate the world’s response to health emergencies. And we promote healthier lives – from pregnancy care through old age. Our Triple Billion targets outline an ambitious plan for the world to achieve good health for all using science-based policies and programmes.
The incumbent performs functions related to Program support in the GSM environment. The incumbent works on the basis of general instructions, from his own experience, according to the policies, procedures, rules and regulations of the Organization, ensures the proper functioning in the team or department. The incumbent is invited to seek advice on unusual matters.
Most of the work is checked for accuracy and relevance by the incumbent and by the Health Advisor/HSS Cluster Team Lead and WR on an ad hoc basis for the achievement of results and quality in general; correspondence is referred to the Health Advisor/HSS Cluster Team Lead as needful, before submission to the Representative.
Summary of Assigned Duties
1. Initiate correspondence projects on the orientation of Program Managers; finalize them in accordance with WHO and departmental styles and check language, grammar, and accuracy before submission for approval and signature.
2. Organize the administrative preparation of internal and external meetings, including the preparation of business plans in GSM / Oracle, letters of invitation, cost estimates and travel requests; assist in the preparation of documents; sending materials and liaising with participants and others involved.
3. Analyze correspondence and requests received, highlight incoming documents, and attach background information and identify areas requiring action by Program Managers, drawing attention to important issues. Schedule meetings of Program Administrators, according to schedules and needs; take minutes of meetings and follow up on issues requiring action to ensure prompt response to WHO requests.
4. Obtain information documents for meetings, seminars, workshops, etc. which Program
Administrators take part in, verify their availability, and ensure that they have the appropriate information files and documents.
5. Ensure that technical reports and documents conform to WHO standards, rules, practices, procedures and editing style and correct them as necessary prior to submission to the Representative’s signature.
Administration and the Representative’s Office.
* Difficulty, Sensitivity, Nature and Importance of Work Relations
Describe the core, management and leadership competencies required – See WHO competency
model – list in order of priority, commencing with the most important ones.
1. Communicating Credibly and Effectively
2. Foster integration and teamwork.
3. Produce results.
4. Move forward in a changing environment.
5. Manage resources effectively.
Functional Knowledge and Skills:
Describe the essential knowledge and the skills specific to the position.
The incumbent will demonstrate mastery; actualize his knowledge in the use of modern office technology through internal courses, on the job or self-training.
He / she keeps abreast of changes in procedures and practices, rules and regulations, organizational structure, in Country Office, organic group and WHO, to be able to brief and explain procedures to other members Staff.
Completion of secondary school followed by Administrative training.
Training in secretarial tasks and/or in an administrative field is desirable
5 years of experience program and administrative support positions in a recognized
public or private institution
Experience in administrative support positions within WHO or another UN agency is an
asset. Experience in Oracle-based systems or another ERP-like system is an asset.
Essential – Fluency in English.
Desirable – Working knowledge of French would be an advantage.
English Read: Beginners Intermediate Expert Knowledge