The United Nations lead agency on international development, UNDP works in 170 countries and territories to eradicate poverty and reduce inequality. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities, and to build resilience to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
UNDP’s mandate is to end poverty, build democratic governance, rule of law, and inclusive institutions. We advocate for change, and connect countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life.
The Project Manager: Inclusive Growth will anchor identified projects within the portfolio, providing substantive support to the project in terms of project governance, implementation and monitoring.
As the overall coordinator, s/he will work with respective units and teams to ensure hands-on day-to-day coordination and steering support, and that projects are well conceptualized, activities and tasks are well mapped out, roles and responsibilities are clearly defined, budgets are allocated and expenditure tracked, communication and visibility is undertaken, and monitoring and evaluation is consistently done. The role seeks to:
- Ensure effective project management of the assigned projects by maintaining the delivery of appropriate technical, operational, financial and administrative outputs, while tracking the project progress through monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Maintaining collaborative working relationships among key project partners and donors, through effective communication, consultation and reporting;
- Aligning the project with UN values and UNDP priorities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure effective project management of the assigned projects by maintaining the delivery of appropriate technical, operational, financial and administrative outputs, while tracking the project progress through monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Developing comprehensive/detailed project work-plans that include all project activities and roles and responsibilities of the stakeholders and setting-out corresponding milestones;
- Managing and coordinating the implementation of the respective activities based on the relevant project documents, including, as needed, supervision and guidance of other project staff, consultants and experts with a view to achieving project results;
- Monitoring the progress of implementation of project activities and key event schedules observing the work-plans and set deadlines including monitoring of the financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
- Mobilizing goods and services to support project activities, including drafting TORs and works/product requirements and specifications;
- Managing and monitoring project risks initially identified, submitting information on the new risks and possible mitigating measures to the Project Board for consideration and updating the status of these risks by maintaining a Project Risk Log;
- Ensuring adherence of project activities to the existing financial, procurement and administrative processes that are in line with prevailing UNDP rules and regulations;
- Setting up and managing project steering committees
- Preparing project progress reports and ensuring timely submission of the reports to the relevant instances, such as the project boards and relevant donors;
- Managing project tracking in QUANTAM in accordance with UNDP procedures;
- Managing the transfer of project deliverables to national beneficiaries and other project stakeholders.
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in economics, development studies or relevant field; or
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 2 years (with master’s degree) or 4 years (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing project management, programme/project coordination and monitoring and/or provision of advisory services or similar is required.
- Proven experience in development role, in a developed country is required.
- Proven experience in project management, with evidence of having managed similar projects is required.
- Demonstrable experience in liaising and co-operating with government officials, municipal authorities’ academic institutions, NGOs and the private sector; and other national institutions and counterparts, UN agencies, international NGOs and other relevant stakeholders in a complex environment is required.