ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi- arid or dryland tropics has over 2 billion people and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor.
ICRISAT seeks applications from Zimbabwean nationals for the post of Scientific Officer to coordinate the Zimbabwean Regional Gene bank activities. This position is based in Matopos, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. This is a nationally recruited position.
ICRISAT and its partners help empower these disadvantaged populations to overcome poverty, hunger and a degraded environment through better agricultural production systems.
ICRISAT is headquartered at Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and eight country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT envisions a prosperous, food-secure and resilient dryland tropics.
Its mission is to reduce poverty, hunger, malnutrition and environmental degradation in the dryland tropics. ICRISAT conducts research on its mandate crops of chickpea, pigeonpea, groundnut, sorghum, pearl millet and finger millet in the arid and semi-arid tropics.
The Institute focuses its work on the drylands and in protecting the environment. Tropical dryland areas are usually seen as resource-poor and perennially beset by shocks such as drought, thereby trapping dryland communities in poverty and hunger and making them dependent on external aid
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Support Senior Scientist and Head of the Genebank with management of the ESA regional genebank (Matopos) activities and the delivery of the commitments established in Genebank initiative
· Ensure the efficient conservation of the germplasm, guaranteeing the proper maintenance of the accessions regarding seed viability, quantity, health and characterization
· Ensure distribution of germplasm and breeding lines to partners’ compliance with intellectual property laws, treaties, material transfer agreements, phytosanitary regulations relating to genetic resources and germplasm movement/exchange
· Ensure the characterization and documentation of accessions, enabling the conservation and enhanced utilization of collections
· Develop partnerships and enhance capacity of NARS partners in managing and using germplasm collections
· Interact with the Regional Crop Improvement Hub by providing material for characterization and use
· Familiarity of legal matters related to genetic resources such as intellectual property, especially relative to the International Plant Treaty (ITPGRFA), Standard Material Transfer Agreements (SMTA), the Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD), the Nagoya Protocol, and international phytosanitary regulations
· Seed quality management, seed conservation (medium and long term)
· Experience in phenotyping (standard and high throughput)
· Capable and competent to negotiate germplasm collection and distribution permits with responsible authorities
· Preference will be given to those with experience of 5 years’ experience in Genetic Resources conservation and characterization science
· Candidate should essentially be a good communicator and a team player
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
· Ability to effectively interact with a wide range of staff at all levels in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment
· Proficiency in Computer skills (MS-Office)
· Familiarity with Data Management and Analysis tools
· Good leadership skills
· Good knowledge genetic resources conservation and use activities
Master’s degree in biological science subjects from a reputed university with good academic record.
This is a contractual role for a period of 36 months (3 years).
- Data analysis,
- Data management,
- Seed conservation,
- Germplasm collection,
- Germplasm Distributi
- Data Management tool,
- Field Book
- Preferred Qualifications
Preferred Industry Experience
ICRISAT offers a rewarding career opportunity in dryland agricultural research to have a lasting impact on millions of lives and communities.
The state of the art research infrastructure with high performance culture, ICRISAT provides global exposure and learning.