The African Union Commission (AUC) has secured funding from the European Union for the implementation of the Global Framework for Climate Services (GFCS) through the Intra-ACP Climate Services and Related Application (ClimSA) programme.
The programme addresses the issue of climate information throughout the entire supply chain of climate services covering generation and provision of climate services, access to information, user interface platforms, and capacity enhancement of critical players including, but not limited to, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) of Member States, and Regional Climate Centre’s (RCCs).
Under the authority and supervision of the ClimSA/GFCS Project Coordinator and AUC Head of MIS Division, and in close collaboration with the members of the Project Management Unit, the tasks and responsibilities of the ICT Officer will be to:
• Execute communication, visibility, and knowledge management functions
• Engage on computer processing of meteorological data.
Under the supervision of the ClimSA/GFCS Project Coordinator and in close collaboration with technical experts, the specific responsibilities of the ICT Expert will include:
• Managing infrastructure (climate stations, PUMA stations and others) installation and maintenance at CAPC-AC and in ECCAS Member States
• Follow-up infrastructure customs clearance in ECCAS Member States for timely clearance
• Managing IT infrastructures and databases, including networks, servers, and telecommunications for proper functioning
• Ensure that network access privileges, applications, data storage and regular backups are configured and maintained;
• Develop and test software programs according to the needs of the project;
• Manage the project weather and climate monitoring databases;
• Ensure capacity building for NMHSs, CAPC-AC staff, national staff and provide training to NMHSs focal points as well as stakeholders in the region on data access;
• Support the production, collection and dissemination of climate services information in real time
• Facilitate the reception of weather data from partners and ensure data transfers to NMHSs;
• Provide IT helpdesk support and feedback tools to users as and when required;
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Candidates must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in ICT, Computer Science/Engineering or related fields with five (5) years of professional relevant work experience of which at least two (2) years should be in the field of meteorological applications.
• Master’s degree in the above fields with two (2) years of professional relevant work experience, with demonstrable experience in the use of IT in the meteorology field
• A higher academic qualification will be an added advantage.
• Good experience in database management, production, collection and dissemination of computer and satellite data; advanced experience in processing of computerized processing of meteorological data, management of computer systems, internet and satellite networks.
• Background in programming language (Bash, R, Python, NCL, fortran, matlab,..), information technology issues.
• Work experience within the ECCAS region will be preferred.
• Demonstrated skills in climate services sectors fields of application;
• Good command of analysis methods, interoperability technologies, geo-referenced data, python language etc.;
• Excellent interpersonal skills;
• Sound planning and organizational skills;
• Advanced knowledge of climate change and meteorology technical processes;
• Knowledge of the use of data from regional and global climate models for climate simulations and predictions at the level of the sub-region, countries, watersheds, impacts, and forecasts of risks and disasters linked to climates;
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 80,801.70 (P2 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 65,992.92 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.