The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC is one of the largest protection actors in Kenya, actively coordinating and advocating for improving the protective environment for refugees and host communities. DRC implements Protection monitoring, Child Protection and GBV prevention and response programmes in its areas of operation to address protection issues faced by displaced and non-displaced at-risk groups and individuals. The programme also aims to identify and build synergies with DRC´s Economic Recovery sector to facilitate durable solutions and Humanitarian Disarmament & Peace Building activities to enhance to respond to the needs of communities affected by acute crisis as well as those in protracted displacement situations.
Overall purpose of the role:
The Economic Recovery Assistant – Agronomist will be collaborating with farmers and crop researchers to conduct a detailed analysis of crop data. He/She will be expected to maintain a deep understanding of soil productivity principles and keep tabs on the latest trends and technologies in agronomy. Success in this role will be determined by providing valuable insights that lead to solutions that drive higher crop yields
Duties & Responsibilities: Responsibilities:
Project management and development:
- Conduct soil, seed, and crop sampling using appropriate protocols and review data to inform decision-making processes.
- Provide technical support to farmer groups, fodder and woodlot producers to improve crop production and pasture management.
- Preparing and managing plans for crop improvement and enhanced production
- Designing and coordinating land development projects for dryland agriculture and agro-forestry
- Development and management of fruits, crops, and vegetable farms as wells pasture and greenbelt/woodlot establishments
- Plant treatment and green space management (agricultural, forests and rural environments)
- Conduct laboratory testing of plants, soils, seeds, and agri-food products
- Assist in obtaining agricultural, agri-food, livestock, forestry, and environmental quality certifications.
- Safeguarding environmental sustainability, safety and quality
- Carrying out land-use planning in accordance with applicable legislation
Monitoring and reporting
- Conducting FGDs for both men and women in the targeted projects areas regarding fodder production, indigenous trees nurturing, farming techniques preferences and associated challenges and lesson learnt.
- Sending weekly/monthly updates on water resource management related interventions on a regular basis and accomplished milestone relating to environmental conservation initiatives and modern farming techniques
- Support needs assessment and propose new ideas to improve farming techniques
- Review learnings on water resource management activities and report to your supervisor
- Based on need basis support the team leader(s) to prepare the donor reports
Planning and budgeting
- Prepare activity budgets and submit to the Team Leader(s) to ensure project activities are carried on time.
- Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly plans and share with your supervisor with the aim of implementing them
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in a similar role
- In-depth knowledge of soil and crop principles
- Strong knowledge of agricultural practices, crop production, pasture management, and environmental sustainability.
- Experience with land-use planning and agro-forestry.
- Proficient in MS Office
- Outstanding research and analytical skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Possess coping skills and the ability to function under pressure.
- Ability to conduct knowledge transfer and effective training facilitation abilities/skills
- Sound experience in planning and leading training sessions for refugees and host communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Agriculture, Agribusiness, Horticulture or a related field from a recognized institution or a related diploma
- Contract: Annual contract with possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment.
- Availability: August, 2023
- Duty station: Dadaab Refugee camp