The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in nearly 80 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas. We manage an operating budget of approximately $5.9 billion each year, distributing 12.6 billion rations to those most in need. We reach an average of 80 million people with food assistance in around 80 countries each year. The World Food Programme office in Johannesburg is a Regional Office coordinating and supporting the delivery of humanitarian assistance to 12 Southern Africa countries including, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Botswana, Malawi, Madagascar, Democratic Republic of Congo, Congo Brazaville.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). Job holders report to the Division/Regional/Country Director or the designate, and work under the functional supervision of the Director, Information Technology (IT).
Job holders manage a small team of staff to ensure plans are implemented across an assigned area. They work independently, using technical knowledge and expertise to provide recommendations on design and development of systems, and implement projects. They conduct more complex analysis, develop and propose creative solutions to problems, and identify opportunities for improvements. May be involved in strategic planning and policy development.
To lead the delivery of efficient and effective IT and Telecommunications (TC) services, providing sound, innovative solutions that enable staff to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Participate in the development of plans, budgets and policies, and lead the deployment of IT/TC systems aligned with business needs, in accordance with WFP corporate standards.
2. Develop and maintain IT/TC systems and networks, ensuring appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area network issues; and enabling users to get maximum benefits from them.
3. Implement and test new hardware for improving and upgrading system performance; install any technology upgrades as required.
4. Develop technical specifications and tender documents, and manage contracts with service providers, to facilitate procurement of IT/TC equipment and services at minimum cost, in line with WFP rules and regulations.
5. Coordinate and prepare reports on IT/TC activities, investments and costs, identifying trends/issues and proposing solutions to increase cost-efficiency.
6. Maintain technical expertise and knowledge of industry developments, and develop skills within specific areas of competence.
7. Provide advice to managers and users to resolve complex issues, understanding their needs and ensuring IT policies, procedures, systems and tools are correctly applied to support them.
8. Lead and motivate a small team, monitoring performance, providing coaching, training and guidance to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree in i.e. Masters in Computer Science or other relevant field and a minimum of 5 years experience or First University degree in Computer Science or relevant field with additional years’ experience required.
- Fluency (level C) in English language and knowledge of French and/or Portuguese is an added advantage.
- This is a 12-month renewable Fixed Term contract
- Net Salary monthly range: R85604 – 100823
- Benefits: Annual Leave, Pension & Medical Insurance