IFC a member of the World Bank Group is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises.
This is a fast-paced opportunity to work with a small, experienced team of investment professionals at the International Finance Corporation. The position is for professionals who wish to work and travel internationally, covering all the industries and developing markets where IFC invests. The successful candidates will be exposed to a broad overview of the sectors in which IFC invests and its product offerings.
The Department of Special Operations (CSO) is a group of highly experienced finance and restructuring specialists responsible for IFC’s distressed investment portfolio. CSO is tasked with maximizing recoveries on IFC investments, protecting IFC’s reputation and preserving the development impact of IFC’s investments by designing and implementing restructuring and recovery solutions for distressed credits globally.
The position is based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Duties and Accountabilities
• Review and analyze sophisticated financial models.
• Perform company financial analysis from a credit perspective.
• Draft memoranda, reports, presentations and other documentation required for IFC internal supervision processes.
• Engage cross departmental staff (including Industry teams, Legal, Financial Operations, Credit, Syndications, etc.) as well as clients in connection to project work.
• Conduct industry and market research. Participate in restructuring/rescheduling and investment recovery negotiations.
• Maintain CSO knowledge management platforms, ensuring that project and other information is complete and up to date.
The successful candidates would be expected to have the following general attributes:
• Academic background in finance, with an MBA or its equivalent;
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience, preferably in banking, consulting, or a relevant industry role. Experience in restructuring work and exposure to multiple industry sectors are a plus;
• Outstanding analytical skills: ability to analyze financial statements; build complex financial models; and evaluate/recommend transaction structures to achieve IFC’s objectives;
• Strong negotiation and transaction execution skills;
• Sound business judgment and strong analytical skills;
• Demonstrated passion for working internationally in developing countries and ability to travel accordingly;
• Ability to build effective relationships with IFC’s investee clients;
• Clear and nuanced oral and written communication skills including demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and tactfully to a variety of stakeholders; and
• Demonstrated teamwork skills with the potential to grow into leadership roles.
Effective WBG staff understand the value of creating, applying, and sharing knowledge. Staff, rapidly
and readily share their expertise; create and contribute to the WBG’s body of knowledge and
efficiently reflect and draw on lessons of past experience from colleagues, clients, partners and
external sources to drive the WBG to achieve its goals. They expand their professional networks
in their areas of expertise by forging linkages with others. They energize others to create, apply
and share knowledge and learn from each other. They also seek opportunities to grow personal
and institutional knowledge and invest in the growth of others through mentoring, as well as
developing themselves and others through feedback and continuous learning.
Effective WBG staff balance the need for risk management with a sense of urgency by making quick,
timely, and relevant decisions. They display the confidence to take smart risks and make timely and
effective decisions and show confidence in own judgment and actions.