UNDP in South Africa is an agile development partner of choice, that is working and co-creating with partners and communities to accelerate sustainable development. We focus our development interventions on three main programme areas: Governance & Peace Building, Environment & Climate Change, and Inclusive Development.
The programmatic area is supported by the Operations Unit that cover areas of Finance, IT, Human Resources, Procurement, General Administration and Common Services. In addition, the Operations Unit provides support to other agencies through Global and local Service Level Agreements.
The UNDP Country Office is lead by the Resident Representative, supported by the Deputy Resident Representative for Program and Operations and the Operations Manager.
Under the guidance of the Deputy Resident Representative and supervision of Operations Manager, the DRR & HR Assistant provides administrative and secretarial support to the office of the Deputy Resident Representative. In addition, he/she supports the Human Resources Unit in the management of the human resources services, ensuring compliance with corporate policies and strategies, high quality, accuracy and consistency of work.
The DRR/HR Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
1.Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the DRR office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the supervisor’s calendar and contacts, arrangement of appointments and meetings and taking minutes.
- Maintenance of protocol procedures.
- Preparation of high-quality briefing materials for supervisor for appointments, meetings, missions.
- Management of DRR missions and representation schedule.
- Maintenance of rosters of partners and telephone lists.
Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of DRR for his/her signature and making follow-up when required.
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the DRR office
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system.
- Coordination of the information flow in the office, follow up on circulation files.
- Facilitation of information sharing between UNDP and inter-agency structures.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to DRR.
- Screening of all incoming calls and correspondence.
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Secondary Education with specialized certification in HR and/or administration. University Degree in Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
Bachelor’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR High School certificate- 5 year(s) experience of relevant HR and/or administrative experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web based management systems.
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
Applicant information about UNDP vacancies
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.