The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
Also Read: African Pyramid Schemes – The Dark Side
IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
Under the supervision of Pretoria Cluster Delegation, the Senior DM Officer will ensure timely, effective and efficient support of disaster risk management activities for National Societies. He/she will work in building national, regional and institutional (including secretariat) disaster response and preparedness capacities to enable them to improve their disaster management programming and be an advocate for IFRC’s Preparedness for Effective Response approach.
He/she assures ongoing collaboration with all relevant partners in the region in the field of disaster risk management and will also work on further developing these relationships. He/she contributes to the quality improvement of the DRM programme of NS throughout the region.
The Senior DM Officer will ensure a symbiotic process of development for the National Society DRM programmes, with the ultimate goal of increasing community resilience to disasters; enhance NS and their branches disaster readiness.
Thus, the Senior DM Officer will be deployed to the field on a regular basis of his/her time in support to National Societies, working on four main objectives:
- Increasing preparedness for effective response (through PER or the Red Ready approach), working with NHQ and Branches to build response capacity prior to disasters, including contingency planning and EWS, forming Rapid Response Teams, Stock Prepositioning, and supply chains;
- Supporting of timely and high-quality humanitarian response when a disaster strikes, ensuring sound operational management and coordination in the field.
- Support NS to design long-term resilience building programme including Food security and livelihoods.
- Support profiling of programmes through meetings participation and monthly newsletters
- Advanced university degree in Development/Social Studies, Project Management, Disaster Management or other relevant field.
- Professional training in disaster risk management.
- Experience of working for the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement – preferred.
- Six years of relevant experience in the field of disaster risk management.
- At least 2 years of working for a humanitarian aid organisation.
- Experience in facilitating workshops and seminars.
- Experience of planning and managing finances and budgets.
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Strong and highly developed technical skills in disaster risk management international practices.
- Self-supporting in computers (word processing, spreadsheets, internet and web-based searching etc.).
- Solid and tested analytical skills.
- Project management and reporting skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and networking skills.
- Fluently spoken and written English.
- National Society Relations
- Teamwork-interpersonal skills
- Integrity and personal conduct
- Communication Managerial effectiveness
- Initiative and direction
- Flexibility, Patience and adaptability-sensitivity to diversity