Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading UN agency in the field
of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and nongovernmental partners.
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by
providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Internship Programme targets young, talented students and graduates willing to gain practical
experience in a field relevant to the Organization through their involvement in daily working activities
in migration-related areas, support/administrative functions and/or different thematic areas.
The Intern will work under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the guidance and supervision
of the Policy Liaison and Reporting Officer and in cooperation with other colleagues of the Programme
Support Unit and the Resource Management Unit. Essential function are as follows:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In coordination with the Policy Liaison and Reporting Officer, assist the programme support unit
with planning, preparing, organizing and implementing all aspects of the project activities.
- Assist in timely implementation and reporting on project activities according to IOM and donor
formats as required, contribute to and/or prepare weekly progress updates on project activities.
- Assist with in-house coordination among different sections of the project including the Resource
Management Units and ensure proper documentation of project documents and filing.
- Assist in tracking of project expenditures, liaison with Admin and Finance Unit for a secondary
opinion, preparation of monthly funding requests for the project activities and only purchase
requisition forms of all related programme activities.
- Support liaison with relevant governmental and non-governmental entities, international
organizations as well as other relevant stakeholders where necessary for effective
implementation of the activities of project.
- Assist in the planning, preparation and implementation of trainings, seminars, conferences,
workshops, meetings, presentations, and missions related to the project, undertake duty travel
- Support the implementation of Monitoring and Evaluation of the through tracking of the agreed
indicators for the implementation of the project.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned
Required qualifications and Experience
Currently enrolled in a relevant undergraduate or graduate programme in the field of Political or Social
Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or a related field.
Fluency in English is required for this position. Knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences;
encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent
with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people
at all levels.
- Delivering results: Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively
seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Accountability: Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects
mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement. Communication: Listens carefully and
genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
Eligibility and Selection
In general, the Internship Programme aims at attracting talented students and graduates who:
a) have a specific interest in, or whose studies have covered, areas relevant to IOM programmes and
b) are holding a scholarship for internship placements in international organizations and/or for whom
internship is required to complete their studies; or
c) are sponsored by governmental/non-governmental institutions and/or academia to work in specific
areas relevant to both IOM and the sponsor.
Method of application:
If you are interested in this internship opportunity and meet the minimum requirements, please send
your letter of motivation, up-to-date Resume/CV, copy of ID, education certificates and other
credential documents to email@example.com