UNOPS: United Nations Office for Project Services is Recruiting Interns (2023)
Closes: 4 June 2023
UNOPS – an operational arm of the United Nations – supports the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by successfully implementing its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world.
Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
We are proud of our people. The UNOPS family brings together approximately 160 nationalities, represented by over 5,000 UNOPS personnel as well as some 7,800 personnel recruited on behalf on our partners. Spread across 80 countries, our workforce is rich in diversity and culture – with inclusion at its core.
We understand the importance of balancing professional and personal demands and offer several flexible working options.
UNOPS Ethiopia Multi-Country Office (ETMCO) exciting Internship opportunity
UNOPS-ETMCO is recruiting for this position: ICT Intern, based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Qualified women (female) candidates are encouraged to apply.
The internship is learning and working opportunity that targets fresh graduates. The ICT Intern will assist the ICT Officer to efficiently and effectively manage ICT and support to the Ethiopia Multi-Country Office (ETMCO). The intern will be exposed to practical learning and working experiences that foster development of his /her path. The Intern will work full time and follow the same working hours as UNOPS employees.
The ICT Intern will have an exposure to learning opportunities on the below key ICT functions.
- ICT management and administration
- Network administration and application management
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1.Opportunity to learn and work on efficient and effective ICT management and administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:.
- Participate in the maintenance of inventory of all computer, telecommunication equipment, I/O devices and software existent in the office ensuring compliance with registration and upgrades.
- Effective functioning (installation, operation and maintenance) of all UNOPS hardware equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies.
- Performance of specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and routine repairs.
- Installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades, anti-virus programs on a timely basis
- Performance of minor repairs on hardware equipment, as required;
- Involve in preventive maintenance of ICT Equipment regularly.
- Advice on project implementation on all activities involving ICT;
2.Opportunity to learn and work on efficient network administration and application management services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) systems to ensure that Network Operating Systems support databases, documents, resources and data files;
- Involve in the Installation, upgrading and maintenance of LAN/WAN systems, including applications used in the system;
- Management and maintenance of equipment and applications associated with electronic mail system;
- Monitoring of the network connection on a daily basis to ensure a stable and responsive network environment.
- Trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems.
- On how to ensure UNOPS desktop and network resources protected from malicious virus attacks and work closely with the ICT Officer to deploy countermeasures in the event of the attacks.
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access.
- Take a regular backup of the servers and restoration as per the established back up procedure.
- Support HoSS, IT Officer and Operations Team with preparation and roll out of the office business continuity management and disaster recovery plan.
- Involve in the maintenance of video conference applications and PABX operations.
- Participate in testing and installation of telecommunications hardware.
- Support to the maintenance of the Regional Office website, Intranet and related websites.
- Support the maintenance of application systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required. Area of degree should be preferably in Information Sciences, Information Technology or Computer Sciences or related fields.
- MCSE, ITIL, CCNA or Equivalent certifications is added advantage.
B. Work Experience
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience.
- Applicants should have graduated from the above stated fields within three (3) years prior to the applications date of the internship.
- Knowledge of Computer Networking and HTML5 is an asset