Occupational Hygiene Technologist required at Anglo American (2023)
Closes: 25 May 2023
Join us as an Occupational Hygiene Technologist who will coordinate the conductance of occupational health risk assessments and the planning, design and implementation of the occupational hygiene programme, as well as the implementation of control measures to eliminate, or if not possible, to reduce identified occupational health risks.
Also Read: Scholarships available in Belgium for African students (2023)
Anglo American Platinum
Guided by our purpose and our values, we enable both high performance and purposeful action as we aim to “re-imagine mining to improve people’s lives”, delivering the metals and minerals that make modern life possible – from mobile phones to medicines.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health, and well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high performing teams take accountability for their own and others’ actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect.
As our Occupational Hygiene Technologist, your responsibilities will include:
- Performing occupational health risk assessments (under guidance of the appointed Occupational Hygienist)
- Conducting surveys of workplaces with potential occupational health hazards in the form of chemical hazards, physical hazards, ergonomic hazards, biological hazards or psychological hazards
- Evaluating and quantifying the levels of the different hazards present by making use of specialized equipment and instrumentation
- Organizing the taking of samples for airborne pollutants and components, fumes, gases, vapors or mists
- Comparing findings of assessments and surveys with statutory exposure limits in order to determine if a potential hazardous situation exits
- Identifying risks and controls in the Potable water quality program
- Analyzing findings correctly and to compare findings to recognized national as well as international standards where available
- Assist in regularly communicating progress of Operation against occupational hygiene targets and objectives via a design communication, supervisory and management forum to all concerned
- Assist in evaluating, monitoring and providing continuous feedback to the Operation regarding the occupational hygiene performance efficiencies and standards
- Ensuring that the occupational hygiene standards and procedures are up to date and understood and followed by the teams
You will be required to have the following:
- BSc Hons degree in Occupational Hygiene and registered with the South African Institute of Occupational Hygiene on Technologist Level, or.
- B. Tech in Environmental Health and registered with the South African Institute of Occupational Hygiene on Technologist Level, or.
- Honors Degree in Physiology and registered with the South African Institute of Occupational Hygiene on Technologist level, or
- COM Intermediate Certificate in Mine Environmental Control and registered as an Associate with the Mine Ventilation Society of South Africa (essential)
- MS Office with strong excel skills
- Medically fit
- 2 years of Occupational Hygiene experience in a mining and/or processing environment.
What We Offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you will find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we are still growing all the time.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.