IOM Interpreter Job Available in South Africa (2023)
Closes: 26 May 2023
Under the overall supervision of the IOM (Movement Operations Manager) and direct supervision of the
Operations Assistant Team Leader Field Support, the successful candidate will provide interpretation
services, in particular:
Also Read: Scholarships available in Belgium for African students (2023)
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Support accurate communication in a common language during interviews and other meetings
conducted in-person, by telephone, and/or by video conference by providing verbatim (word
for word) interpretation services.
- Provide interpretation services in the preferred language of the beneficiaries without
paraphrasing, summarizing, omitting or adding information; always use the first person (I, me
and my) and remain engaged during the interpretation session.
- Maintain strict confidentiality during interpretation sessions and follow designated program
procedures regarding the destruction or maintenance of written notes within the required
timeframe (e.g. immediately after each interpretation session).
- Remain objective, unbiased, impartial and neutral when providing interpretation services. Treat
all parties to the conversation with courtesy, dignity and respect, regardless of their age,
ethnicity, religion, political opinion, sex characteristics, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, sexual orientation, disability or any other factors.
- Have an appropriate understanding of and sensitivity towards cultural practices and language
differences that may exist between the parties to the conversation. Respect the use of proper
pronouns that are preferred by the beneficiaries, when applicable.
- Inform the Movement Operations Manager and/or Operations Assistant field support if you are
having difficulty understanding a party to the conversation or if a beneficiary or any other
individual offers a bribe, threatens you or tries to influence your interpretation. Immediately
inform the [insert title of Direct Supervisor] if you know the beneficiary personally or if you have
ever met the individual at any point in the past.
- Abide by IOM Standards of Conduct (IN/15), Policy and Procedures for Preventing and
Responding to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (IN/234), IOM Data Protection Principles (IN/138),
Policy for a Respectful Working Environment (IN/90), and Fraud Awareness and Prevention
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Interpretation, Literature, Linguistics, Social Science, or a related field from
an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Complete school diploma from an accredited institution with four years of relevant professional
- Previous experience in interpretation.
- Experience working with vulnerable groups and providing humanitarian assistance.
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or
government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Discreet, patient and detail and client-oriented.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; knowledge of SAP is a distinct advantage.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to
achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
Method of application:
If you are qualified for this position, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org under the
REFERENCE: CFCV#CO2023/01 in the subject line of your email:
a. Letter of motivation
b. Up-to-date Resume/CV
c. Copy of ID/Passport
When you send your application, please specify the Vacancy reference number i.e. CFCV#CO2023/01
on the subject line of your email. It will be challenging to track your application without the reference