Since its inception in 1972, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has been the global authority that sets the environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, UNEP works through its divisions as well as regional, liaison and out-posted offices and a growing network of collaborating center’s of excellence.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Social Media the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
· Draft content for publication on UNEP social media channels;
· Prepare regular analytics reports on UNEP’s social media activity;
· Implement UNEP digital campaigns; · Identify interesting content for potential use on UNEP social media channels; · Monitor social media accounts for comments and questions from users;
· Conduct research on social media developments and tactics; · Participate in and conduct staff trainings on social media use;
· Coordinate with UNEP’s social media account operators in non-English languages to ensure content published to all relevant audiences;
· Respond to content management issues that arise in the daily performance of the activities;
· Serve as the Social Media Unit focal point for report launches and other initiatives;
· Liaise with UNEP Regional Offices as necessary;
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to: Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day).
Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country; Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities.
Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/web-sites, newsletters, press releases, etc.; Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly arrived UN Volunteers; Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
· Social media platforms updated with the frequency in line with UNEP social media strategies;
· UNEP content on social media channels is posted in accordance with organizational editorial practices;
· Social media metrics and analytics reports provided in a timely manner;
· Social media support provided for key UNEP publications and UNEP campaigns;
· Successfully implemented tasks assigned by Supervisor and Division;
3 years of experience in digital media;
· Expertise in creating content for major social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Tik-Tok, Snapchat, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.);
· Strong experience creating visual (photo and video) assets for use on social media channels;
· Knowledge and experience using social media monitoring, analytics and scheduling tools.
Area(s) of expertise
English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Bachelor degree or equivalent in Communications, International Relations, Journalism or related field.
Competencies and values
Adaptability and Flexibility Client Orientation Commitment and Motivation Communication Creativity Planning and Organizing Professionalism Respect for Diversity Technological Awareness
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics.
As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.