The International Labour Organization (ILO) is devoted to promoting social justice and internationally recognized human and labour rights, pursuing its founding mission that labour peace is essential to prosperity. Today, the ILO helps countries with the creation of decent work in conditions that give working people and business people a stake in lasting peace, prosperity and progress. Its tripartite structure provides a unique platform for promoting decent work for all women and men. Its main objectives are to promote rights at work, encourage decent employment opportunities, enhance social protection and strengthen dialogue on work-related issues.
The International Labour Organization’s Country Office for Zimbabwe and Namibia (CO-Harare) delivers on its mandate through development cooperation programmes, research and technical advisory services delivered through the Zimbabwe Decent Work Country Programme (Z/DWCP) which supports the Government of Zimbabwe and it’s Social Partners (Employers and Workers’ Organizations) in promoting decent work for all.
Would you like to learn about communication and information management at the ILO- how the Organizations communicates its activities and results to stakeholders and the general public? How to create value through communication?
If you are a strong communicator with a client focused mind set and motivated to drive initiatives, the ILO through its Country Office in Harare (CO-Harare), can offer you an interesting and rewarding internship opportunity. As an intern in communications, you will be exposed to a whole range of exciting areas such as: dissemination of media briefs, spearhead and support the digital activities of the Office and projects and designing or adapting graphics to be used for communication materials in CO-Harare by undertaking background research, drafting communication and information materials, participating and documenting outcomes of technical seminars, meetings and discussions.
• Completed an MA or equivalent degree in Communications, Digital communications with knowledge of international politics, Public relations, Journalism, Marketing OR
• The candidate should be enrolled in their final year of graduate degree programme (master`s degree) or should have completed such a programme no longer than 1 year ago
• Demonstrated interest and/or experience (up to 1 year) in research and/or work experience related to communications and information management would be an advantage. Should have excellent skills, in writing, presentation and research.
• Digital/ computer skills Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Photoshop or other photo/video editing software, publisher, social media (twitter, LinkedIn…).
Fluent knowledge (both oral and written) of English and/or main local languages – Shona or Ndebele.
• Adaptable to an international, multicultural and multilingual environment.
• Good interpersonal, networking and communication skills (written and oral)
• Positive attitude and ability to multi-task and to work under pressure
• Good knowledge, understanding and proven experience of different social media platforms and familiarity with updating social media channels
• Show willingness to acquire new knowledge and skills
• Some competency in graphic design and publishing software, such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, CANVA, and InDesign, as well as audio-visual editing/production tools,
• Selecting, reviewing and uploading ILO Harare photos on appropriate online albums such as Flickr;
• Participation in drafting and preparation of media plans for the various events of the Office;
• Supporting the production of brochures, posters/banners and other project communication leaflets;
• Assist in developing social media focused infographics, impact photos and stories;
• Ability to work independently and in a team
• Knowledge of the general procedures and practices of public information and related office administrative procedures and policies
• Familiarity with public relations and branding compliance;
• Some level of presentation skills;
• Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time
• Ability to produce quality results under deadlines
• Sensitivity to diversity as well as gender equality issues
• Open to learning and flexible about a variety of topics, ILO writing house style, ILO branding guidelines and open to new experiences