WFP Communications Associate Job (Harare)
Closes: 15 May 2023
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In Zimbabwe, WFP has a strong track record of delivering food assistance and managing supply chains during crises, while building resilience to shocks among vulnerable communities. The July 2022-December 2026 Country Strategic Plan (CSP) provides a road map to promote shock-responsive social protection and sustainable and resilient food systems. The July 2022-December 2026 articulates collaborative efforts to better anticipate future needs, improve data and forecasting and strengthen livelihoods and local capacities to withstand, respond to and adapt more readily to sudden or chronic stresses. WFP will support informed decision making on food security and nutrition in Zimbabwe, and will integrate nutrition, gender, protection and inclusion, youth engagement, technological innovation and decentralized zero hunger action throughout the plan. WFP will establish new partnerships and leverage existing ones to their full potential, including those with the other Rome-based and other United Nations agencies.
Also Read: CANADA’s top ten fully-funded scholarships available for International students (2023)
WFP Zimbabwe’s July 2022-December 2026 CSP focuses on the below areas:
- Social and humanitarian assistance for food-and nutrition-insecure populations in targeted rural and urban areas.
- Support to urban food insecure households for resilient livelihoods.
- Support to rural communities for climate resilient livelihoods, sustainable management of natural resources and enhanced participation in local markets and value chains.
- Collaboration with national actors to enhance capacities to develop, coordinate and implement well-informed, effective and equitable actions for achieving food and nutrition security.
- Services to humanitarian and development actors in Zimbabwe so they can implement their programmes and provide support to their beneficiaries in an efficient, effective and reliable way at all times, including during crises
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Perform specialised communications processes and activities, to support staff in the development, preparation, execution and dissemination of campaigns for target audiences.
2. Conduct research, suggest ideas, and provide coordination support to ensure the timely and effective delivery of video/film, photographic and radio projects. Manage the storage and distribution of audio/visual materials in accordance with relevant policies.
3. Serve as an information focal point, support and/or coordinate media coverage of events to optimise publicity of WFP’s activities.
4. Organise and execute special events, working closely with colleagues, external partners and media, to ensure events are effectively scheduled, publicised and attended.
5. Monitor traditional and social media, and report relevant information to senior staff to inform the development and/or evaluation of communications activities and strategies.
6. Prepare content for use on traditional and social media platforms and networks, and printed materials, to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages.
7. Distribute and promote communications guidelines for WFP staff to refer to when creating content.
8. Manage updates and further develop internal records and databases, ensuring information is accurate, organised and available for others to access.
9. Respond to specialised queries and requests for support, using initiative and following standard processes, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of all enquiries.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in Business Administration, International Relations Marketing, Business Studies, Communications, Public Relations, Media, journalism or any relevant field of study in the related functional area.
At least 5 years of experience in Marketing, Communication, Public Relations, Digital Media, or related fields.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language.