The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. Present in nearly 80 countries, the organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas. We manage an operating budget of approximately $5.9 billion each year, distributing 12.6 billion rations to those most in need. We reach an average of 80 million people with food assistance in around 80 countries each year.
The Procurement Unit in the Regional Bureau for Southern Africa (RBJ) is looking to engage a Data Management Intern specifically dedicated to supporting Data Management around Vendor Management and Due Diligence of the current and potential new suppliers of Food, Goods and Services ; to strengthen the Unit’s ability to manage critical supply lines as well as compliance.
The Procurement Unit in the Regional Bureau for Southern Africa (RBJ) is looking to engage a Data Management Intern specifically dedicated to supporting Data Management around Vendor Management and Due Diligence of the current and potential new suppliers of Food, Goods and Services to strengthen the unit’s ability to manage critical supply lines as well as compliance.
1. Vendor Management Update ( 50%)
• Receive and analyze all documents as received from the suppliers,
• Verify documents that need to be updated from the submissions,
• Follow up with suppliers any outstanding documents,
• Perform due diligence based on the received documents,
• Update the new documents,
2. Design, Develop and Update Databases (40%)
• Design and develop databases which can be linked to the documents as received from the suppliers
• Design other databases as required for operational improvement
• Contributions to data analytics agendas as a way to develop procurement insights for the region
3. AOB (10%)
• Support Procurement in undertaking any other activity relevant to the development or continuation of data management agenda. Most activities will be carried out in Johannesburg
• May be requirement to travel to other WFP Country Offices on an ad-hoc basis to streamline data analytics.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- All tasks assigned, completed on time and to professional standards as per the detailed TOR for support to the Procurement.
- Contributions to the unit provided in a timely and professional manner as requested by the head of procurement and supply chain over the internship duration.
- Approved Database per category of Food, Goods and Services Suppliers available
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Fully computer-literate with excellent skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and database management;
- Understanding of any coding language will be an added advantage (Python, Java, SQL)
- Eye for detail; accuracy;
- Excellent communication skills, written, verbal and visual;
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Currently enrolled in a graduate programme and have attended classes in the past 12 months, or a recent graduate from a graduate programme (within six months prior to applying to the internship programme). Preferred areas of study are Supply Chain, Business Management, Data Science, or another related field;
Languages: Fluency in English required. Intermediate level of French and/or Portuguese are a plus.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP up to the maximum amount of US$1000 per month depending on the duty station of assignment.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.