UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
In Nigeria, UNICEF works in a complex humanitarian and development setting to fulfill and protect children’s rights in partnership with the government, civil society, children, and families. UNICEF Nigeria is one of the largest UNICEF Country Offices globally.
Under the general guidance of the Planning & Monitoring Manager, the incumbent is to provide professional technical, operational, and administrative support/advice to advance the mainstreaming, and integration of Rights and Results-based Management (RRBM) in the Country Office that covers the field offices through capacity development, application of RBM principles and standards in all aspects of programme implementation; and to strengthen the quality of planning processes in the country office. The post also supports the quality assurance mechanism of the Country Programme planning exercise with a broad range of functions, including policy and programmatic work to ensure alignment of the Country Programme with the Government priorities and UNICEF Organizational policies and priorities.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Country Programme Planning
- Programme Performance Monitoring and Corporate Reporting
- Capacity Building on programme planning and corporate reporting
- Coordination and Networking
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have
- An advanced university degree in social sciences, statistics, planning development, planning or related social science field is required or an additional five years of relevant experience in lieu of an advanced degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels in programme planning, and monitoring. Practical experience in emergency programming, including preparedness planning and active involvement in a humanitarian crisis response programme, is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
Specific Technical Knowledge & Competencies Required
- Knowledge of Rights and Results-based Management.
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in facilitating participatory planning and monitoring processes, programme reviews and documenting lessons learned.
- Emerging international good practice in programme planning, monitoring and evaluation partnerships.
Common Technical Knowledge Required
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in demography, statistics, and data management.
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in the methodology of results-based planning
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in Activity Monitoring & evaluation
- Evaluation Design, data analysis, and reporting.
- Gender equality and diversity awareness
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
- Mastery of UNICEF’s planning policies and procedures.
- Latest programme planning theory, methodology, technology and tools.
- Understanding of UN Mission and system, current key UN topics; and the International Code of Conduct
- Understanding of UNICEF Mission Statement and UNICEF Guiding Principles.
- UNICEF policies, and strategies promoting and supporting gender equality and diversity
- UNICEF strategic framework for partnerships and collaborative relationships
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.