The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN); Country Office: South Africa is seeking to appoint an experienced Project Administrator to serve the project. He/she will be a nationally recruited professional managed by IUCN, dually reporting to the IUCN South Africa Country Office and the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment (DFFE) and Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development (DALRRD).
He/she shall be responsible for supporting the management of the project and will work under the supervision of the Project Manager.
The Project Management Unit (PMU) will be headed up by a Project Manager (PM). The PM will take charge of all outcomes under Project Document. The PM will also have managerial responsibilities vis-à-vis the approval of payments within IUCN’s system.
In view of her/his responsibilities to deliver these outcomes, the Project Administrator should be a competent in sustainable land management (SLM), the financing thereof and all related institutional aspects. The post of Project Administrator will be a full-time post over the project lifespan. This is a critical position, and it is important that person filling this position has a continuous global view of the overall project.
The Project Administrator s will assist the Project Manager in the coordination and execution of the project components.
A degree related to Agriculture or Environmental Management/Science or project management.
- Work Experience;
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience in programme or project administration, technical cooperation or related area is required.
- Working experience in coordination and assisting execution of various project components related to the GEF and SLM is desirable.
- Experience working in international organization is added advantage.
- Experience in project administration including sound knowledge of financial, procurement, administrative practices and project reporting.
- Project management skills with a strong ability to support the monitoring of Programme/project budgets.
- Proficiency in using advanced computer applications.
- Willingness to travel long hours and working after hours voluntarily.
Fluency in English, both written and verbal. Fluency in local languages is an added advantage.
- Core Competencies;
- Transparency: Able to build trust and contribute to informed and responsible decision-making by carrying out the work of IUCN in a transparent manner; provides clear guidance to ensure that objectives and desired measurable results are understood by members of the team.
- Inclusiveness: Understands and accepts cultural diversity, and provides a tolerant, positive and supportive working environment that fosters respect for diversity, demonstrates ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
- Professionalism: Promote the organization’s interests, objectives and values in a diligent and professional manner.
- Accountability: Takes responsibility of individual and collective actions, promotes the IUCN One Programme approach.
- Functional competencies;
- Must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated with the ability to multi-task and prioritize needs
- Possess energy, drive, enthusiasm, commitment and passion for high-quality work.
- Proven interpersonal skills and be to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Must be dependable, a good team player and able to work independently as well as can learn quickly and expand the scope of functions.
- Capacity to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines and produce high-quality documents at short notice.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited supervision and manage work in a demanding environment.
- Committed to continuous learning and self-development.
- Willingness to travel.