The incumbent will be the Project Coordinator of three United Nations Partnership on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNPRPD) projects being led by UNESCO Regional Office for Southern Africa (ROSA), specifically: 1) The Multicounty UNPRPD Project “Ending Stigma and Discrimination, Breaking the Cycle of Poverty and Marginalization of Persons with Disabilities in Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe”; 2) the UNPRPD Fourth Round Project in Zimbabwe; and: 3) Strengthening the Inclusion and Coordination of Disability Issues in Eswatini. These three projects seek to advance disability inclusion and combat stigma and discrimination against persons with disabilities, with a particular gender focus.
Also Read: Top 10 Fully Funded USA Scholarships
Under the direct supervision of the UNESCO ROSA Social and the Human Sciences (SHS) Programme Specialist, and in close collaboration with the UNPRPD Team involved as co-partners in the five countries, the Projects Coordinator will be responsible for the implementation, reporting, and coordination of the three projects above-mentioned, funded by the UN Multi-Partners Fund-in Trust. The Coordinator will work closely with the co-implementing UN agencies, the UNESCO National Offices involved, as well as the Advisory Groups, in order to ensure the quality and relevance of all project documents, decisions, activities, implementation arrangements, and deadlines.
More specifically, the National Project Officer will be required to:
- Lead the implementation and day-to-day management of the UNPRPD projects in consultation with the SHS Programme Specialist, according to the work plan for each UNPRPD component and according to UNESCO’s rules and regulations.
- Ensure that the project and programme outputs are achieved as identified in the proposal and as advised and instructed by the Advisory Group.
- Supervise and advise the project assistants involved in the projects in the five countries, and liaise and coordinate with the programme specialists, participating UN agencies implementing the UNPRPD projects.
- Advise officers and stakeholders involved in the project implementation on practical methods and approaches to ensure disability inclusion and meaningful participation of persons with disabilities and OPDs.
- Undertake the appropriate communication and dissemination of information to ensure projects visibility, as well as accountability.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Monitor effective and timely reporting of the projects, lead the drafting of the periodic narrative reports required by UNPRPD (the donor) and UNESCO.
- Strengthen program implementation through evidence generated from monitoring, evaluation.
- Planning, budgeting, M&E and reporting.
Representation and partner relations
- Maintain regular and good communication with the UNPRPD participating UN agencies, DPOs, the UNPRPD Secretariat, governments, and other partners as required, to ensure due accountability and efficient implementation.
- Represent UNESCO in appropriate coordination forums, such as the UN Joint Teams on UNPRPD and interagency meetings.
- Develop and maintain partner relations with the Ministry of Public Service, Labour and Social Welfare, the National Commission for UNESCO, national bodies and development partners, including civil society organizations.
- Ensure that disability work is aligned with and contribute to the UNCT’s Joint Programmes through UNESCO’s contribution and reporting to the UNCTs in the five countries.
- Engage with local organisations, including the civil society at large and the OPDs specifically.
- Actively participate in resource mobilization efforts, including the development of project proposals from UNESCO, with UN partners, OPDs and other stakeholders, based on the results achieved so far on disability inclusion, and on the situational analysis conducted on persons with disabilities in the region.
- Holder of a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (development, human rights, social sciences, etc.).
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience working in the field of development, social inclusion of the most vulnerable, disability rights, gender mainstreaming and/or related field.
- Excellent knowledge of the UNPRPD and United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD).
- Working experience of project management and research.
- Experience in resource mobilization.