Under the authority of the UNESCO Regional Director for Southern Africa (ROSA), the overall supervision of the Regional Head of Natural Science Unit and the direct supervision of the National Project Coordinator, the incumbent will support the project titled “Strengthening local communities’ adaptive capacity and resilience to climate change through sustainable groundwater exploitation in Zimbabwe” funded by the Adaptation Fund.
The objective of the proposed project is to increase local communities’ adaptive capacity and resilience to climate change through sustainable groundwater utilisation for food security and other productive uses in rural areas of Zimbabwe. To achieve this, the project will implement starting at local to national levels. These include:
(i) Strengthening technical, institutional and human capacity for improved and sustainable utilization of groundwater at local and national level;
(ii) conducting comprehensive assessments of groundwater resources in two poverty-stricken and highly vulnerable sub-catchments of Lower Gwayi and Upper Save and develop sample plans for improving climate resilience through sustainable groundwater utilization;
(iii) Strengthening the capacity of water and land management institutions in Lower Gwayi and Upper Save sub-catchments by developing integrated catchment management plans that promote groundwater use whilst protecting groundwater resources;
(iv) Piloting and demonstrating concrete climate change adaptation measures based on sustainable groundwater utilisation by diversifying and strengthening the livelihoods of the most vulnerable population in Lower Gwayi and Upper Save sub-catchments; and
(v) Compiling and disseminating lessons learnt from the project to facilitate future upscaling and replication of good practices in groundwater extraction and management.
To support the day-to-day implementation of the project, the Project Administrative Assistant shall perform the following tasks:
- Provide substantive project support for the implementation and assessment of the Adaptation Fund Project
- Support the preparation of annual work plans and the development of progress reports.
- Coordinate and prepare documents necessary for the launch of procurement processes and draft contact terms of reference.
- Initiate payment requests upon satisfactory completion and/or delivery of goods or services.
- Provide support on all administrative matters concerning the project including travel plans, travel authorization, monitoring of travel budgets, hiring of consultants liaising with appropriate units.
- Provide support to administrative and logistical arrangements for all meetings, workshops, and courses in connection with the Project.
- Support programme staff with preparation of documents that may be needed for meetings, training and conferences ensuring external participants have requisite information and documents.
- Responsible for meeting scheduling for programme staff, identification of locations and venues and keeping a record of all meeting proceedings.
- Assist with drafting out-going correspondence for the programme team.
- Establish and maintain a soft copy (e-filing) and hard copy filing systems to record all paperwork associated with the projects’ financial and administrative actions, for a complete and accurate audit trail.
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions.
- Ensure effective and efficient project activities budgets, requesting for fund reservation for supporting programme implementation.
- Ensure project activities acquittal reports are supported by original receipts, invoices or payment statements and timely submitted to the Finance and Administration Office and follow-up close of the activity/contract.
- Ensure that all project related funds request and payments are accompanied by original supporting documents as per Financial Regulation and submitted to finance and administration office timely.
- Maintain complete and accurate administrative records and contribute to the smooth running of the office by ensuring the provision and maintenance of project equipment, inventory of physical assets.
- Undertake other project administrative support tasks as required.
The Ministry of Lands, Agriculture, Fisheries, Water and Rural Development is the executing partner and the project will be implemented for 4 years from June 2023 to June 2027.